Sunday, January 24, 2010

Running away.

I worked for a few hours at the store yesterday and then hit the road. Drove up to the Poconos to meet some friends for the night. I got there too late to ski, but with enough time to meet them for some beers at the ski lodge bar. Sadly, no cute boys to mingle with. My friend and I really, really tried to find some...

I was running away, admittedly. (Not in the same running, away sense as I did in March.) I needed to get out of town. Thought it would be good to hang out with my other friends, away from home. It was a long drive for an overnight trip that, truthfully, cost too much money for stuff we could've done right here in Philly. However, I thought it would be good to step away from things that have been frustrating me at home. I thought a good drive with some good music and a night of hanging out with old friends would be a solid distraction.

It wasn't. A distraction, that is. And it didn't really do for me what I wanted it to.

But, I did have a nice time with my friends. And I did have a good 10 mile run in the hilly area around our rented house this morning while my friends slept. I found myself running a 5 mile route that wound me around Lake Naiomi, and I did that route twice. It was chilly, quiet, peaceful.
And when I got back to the house, my friends were waking up, and we had lots of coffee, fruit, eggs, bagels, pork roll, bacon, oj, and more laughs.

As I made my way home, I realized that the decision to run away was smart, even if I was returning right back where I started. Often, the run itself is the best part.

2 comments:

Maria said...

You know my door is open for you anytime you feel like driving up the turnpike. Perhaps some more regular breaks from the day-to-day; we could meet up with Missy and get a run in and grab some eats or something.

I'm also dying to get back to running along the D&R canal near Rutgers, might be a good spot to freshen up your perspective ??

Lori said...

Um, you do remember that we have a house in the Poconos, right?! And it was free last weekend!!! Come on silly goose, call when you need me, ok?!