Tuesday, December 1, 2009

cold toes

Today is Day 2 of the 10 day rest. I took my bike out for an hour-long ride. It was a clear, crisp afternoon, and I layered up for the ride. Well, I layered up my body. Kinda didn't think about my feet. I pulled on a new pair of socks and my Zoot shoes and headed out.

These shoes are pretty cool - no laces, easy pull-on, vented for drainage, breathable. All great things for coming out of the swim and onto the bike (I still just have the cages) in the warm weather. Not so great for the cool days.

My toes froze. At first I thought the pain in my toes was from my foot positioning. I shifted them around and tightened the straps on the pedals. When that didn't fix things, I realized cold air was blowing right into the shoes. Duh.

It was all I could do to make it the full hour. The ride itself was fine -- which was good considering how long it's been since I've been on the bike. But holy moly, my toes really hurt.

3 comments:

sneakersister said...

I've been curious about the Zoot shoes. How do you like them? Other than the cold toes, of course.

Mindi said...

Ouch! I always seem to do that in the winter - "that" being forget how cold my feet will get. These great breathable shoes can kill your feet in cold, cold runs too. Bike must have been brutal!

Charisa said...

That's awesome! They are great for draining water, maybe not so great for those really cold days :)