Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Where to begin?

I've been absent. I know it. I didn't mean to be absent, but I feel like I've had so much to say and yet the words have failed me. So, in order to escape the continued lack of posts, here's a synopsis, in no particular order:

*My running is going well. D's plan (which I'm getting 2 or 1 week at a time) has me running 6 days a week, with most runs being at an easy pace. I've been doing one long(ish) run and one speedwork day, although D says there will be another quality day added in in the next couple weeks. My mileage is hovering in the 25 (last week), 30-35 mpw range. I like it because I'm still able to fit biking and swimming into the mix.

*My brother is going through some pretty serious stuff right now, and I'm worried about him. Terribly. I wish I could do more than I am, but this is something he's got to do. I can support and help where I can, but it's all weighing heavily on me, and I want him to come out of this healthy, happy, and doing well.

*I also have a long-time friend who is dealing with some similar stuff as my brother. I worry about him, too, and wonder what the hell I can do to get him on a better path...

*My friendship with D has been getting stronger and stronger. We've been spending time together and I'm enjoying it. He's still dealing with a breakup, and I'm glad he feels comfortable to talk to me about things.

*I'm not working as much this summer as I have in the past. At first this kinda scared me, but now it's working out well. I have to watch my spending a bit over the next couple months, and I won't be able to take all the trips I wanted to, but for now it's ok.

*After some loooooooong weeks of rain, we've been blessed with absolutely gorgeous weather lately, and the forecast is for a bunch more days like this. Low humidity, temps in the low 80's, good breezes. I'm going to stop now, for fear of jinxing it....

*Apparently the Brooks shoes I've been in are somehow defective, so D had me swap them out at the store today for a new pair. I went with the Asics Nimbus 11's. I used to love the Nimbus but then they didn't work with my orthotics. Except for the god-awful hot pink coloring all over the shoes, I like 'em. Tomorrow will be my first run in them.

*I have my tri coming up next weekend -- the 12th. I'm starting to feel nervous about the swim. I know I can do it, it's just to what degree... I want to swim it well, and I get nervous about that. It's the longest swim in a race I've done, so really there's no pressure. Just complete it and get my ass on the bike. From there, I can handle things.


Ok, that's a lot of what's been consuming me lately. My head is still swirling.

5 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Glad the running and swimming are going well. You will do great on your tri on the 12th. Your swimming has gotten much stronger.

Sometimes all you can do for those around you that are hurting and needing help is let them know you are there for them. I hope your brother and your friend get their troubles headed in the right direction.

Maria said...

Your positive energy will help those who need it most, even if you don't know 100% that they know you're there for them, willing to do anything to help.

I wish I was in town on the 12th - would love to come out and cheer you on.

Charisa said...

You have been busy - with running and LIFE! Hang in there - hope your friend and brother pull through, I'm sure you will help them out. Good luck on your tri - you will have a blast :)

Beaker said...

You are one of the strongest people I know, in so many ways. Your love and support for your brother and friend will help carry them through. AS for that silly little swim on the 12th, you can do it!! And I will be waiting, nice and dry, on the bank to cheer you on!!!!

Dan said...

go get 'em this weekend lora!

wish i could be there on the 12th too. cheer you on, go to the beach, hang out, relax....s'all good.