Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A full weekend.

Through the craziness of last week, I somehow made my way into the holiday weekend. Growing up on a barrier island in NJ, where seasonal businesses reign and tourism is both welcomed and hated, this weekend is huge.

I made my way to the shore Thursday to work the door of the nightclub where I've been working for more than 15 years. I want to give this job up, but it's social, it's (pretty) easy money, and it's fun to watch the bar-goers on their way in (and stumbling out!). And, I've set it up that I'm only working there about 5 times all summer. It was packed, with a line of people out the door all night. I was taking the cover, and at times I had thousands of dollars in my hand. It was a good night for the owners.
Friday I started my day with one of my variations of a green monster:
And then spent some time working at my brother's store. I worked there for most of my teen/into adult years when my dad was the owner, and though I don't work there anymore, I try to pop in to help out on busier weekends. With some tough stuff happening with my brother, I wanted to do whatever I could. Turns out I was called upon to make 2 batches of my yummy rice pudding.

Saturday would bring even more difficult emotions into our life, when my sister's older Boston, Rocket, passed away unexpectedly. It is heartbreaking to have to try to explain death to 5 and almost-4 year old innocent little boys. It is amazing to see the love they are pouring on their other Boston, Tanqueray, and the understanding they have of Rocket's spirit. Rocket was a very special dog, and it has been a tough few days at the shore without him.

I was lucky enough to have some very understanding friends who met me at their door Saturday night after my nephew's birthday party with open arms, and let me cry out all my tears I'd been holding in for so long. We talked, we ate, we had some drinks, and we watched the fireworks over the bay.I needed some fresh air, some time on the beach, and some good things in my world, so I spent much of the day Sunday on the beach. I got an open water swim done in the ocean, and although it was only about .5 mile long, I felt like it was a really good workout since I don't get much OW swimming done. After that, it was wiffle ball time with this little guy:

Doesn't he look like a little triathlete?! Love it!

The ocean was refreshing and clear and calm this weekend, though there were some clear jellyfish in there, and my nephews spent more time jumping the waves, playing ball, bodysurfing and boogeyboarding than they ever have before.

It was so great, we all stayed until today and got another whole day on the beach yesterday. Perfect. After a full and emotional past week or so, it was fantastic to end the shore time with good things.

Oh, and I called my brother on my way home today just to remind him I love him. He sounded pretty good.

4 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Sounds like a full weekend! Rocket is adorable. Bostons are great. I'm sure they are devastated.

Dan said...

man, i love that beach.
hope solarbro gets that stuff ironed out.
i'm impressed w/the .05 mi OW swim. i'd be freaked out i think.

Charisa said...

Glad you got some good time in over the weekend too - the ocean swim and wiffle ball sounds very nice!

Aimee said...

Is this your life or mine? :) My RocketJRockstar. :( Glad you can't really identify T, but love the pic. Sorry you had a tough week with everything, too. That week sucked.