Saturday, July 11, 2009

The night before

I'm racing the Philadelphia Women's Triathlon tomorrow. I tend to hate the night before races.

I'm a runner. That's what I know. I fake the tri stuff. Yeah, I've been swimming a lot more, and I bike a bunch. But, I still ride with cages on my pedals instead of clipped-in shoes (see, I don't even know what clipped-in vs. clipless or whatever means!), and I still freak out about open water swimming in races. I'm not focused on tri's like I am my running. Yet.

But I feel like more of an athlete doing tri's than anything else. I have fun trying (ha!) them.

So I'm working all night to keep my nerves in check, and I'm reminding myself I have no expectations with my time. This is technically a sprint, but the swim (~.46 mi) and the bike (17ish mi) are longer than any other tri I've done.

I know I can do the swim, the bike, and the run. I know I can do it, but I want to do the swim well. All I want for tomorrow is to feel good about my swim -- I'm not concerned with my bike or run -- I didn't really taper or rest for this race, so no time expectations. I just don't want to get out of the water feeling like I struggled. I shouldn't -- I should do this just fine. Once I'm in T1, the fun starts.

And then I can enjoy the rest of the day.

3 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Good Luck!! You will do great.

Maggs said...

good luck. And so you know, clipped pedals are what you have...toe clips (cages). Clippless are the ones you clip into. Yeah, makes no sense.

Someone had to explain it to me too.

Aimee said...

Must. Get. Handle. On. Nerves.