Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I was her.

When I first started swimming as I trained for my first triathlon, I enlisted the help of a swim coach. D is the husband of a co-worker and really great guy. He was patient with me, he guided me, and he taught me things that I think about every time I get into the water.

On that first meeting, when I had to borrow goggles from D because I didn't have any, I remember struggling to feel comfortable in one complete lap of the pool. I grew up in the ocean and the bay, and I know how to swim, but I had never tried to swim for a race or even for exercise. This was all new to me. I remember feeling awkward, inefficient, and a bit self-conscious.

I also remember watching a woman in another lane swimming continuous laps, back and forth and back again. I remember thinking how smooth she looked. How effortless she made this swimming thing seem. I remember thinking, there's no way I'll ever get there. D explained what she was doing and how it allowed her to swim so long without a break, and I just watched in amazement.

That was about 2 years ago. I've done 3 sprint tri's since that day, and I have yet to feel really comfortable with the swim. Until today.

I got into the water today, and everything fell into place. I did about 250 yds (5 laps/10 lengths) of mixed warm-up stuff -- pulls, kicking, etc. Then I intended to do about 500 yds of freestyle easy swimming, rest for a minute, and do another set. I planned to get at least 1000 yds done, maybe more if I felt like it, but I was also running with my sister later this evening, so I didn't want to be spent for that...

I ended up with 2000 yards.

By the time I was 250yds into the free swim, I noticed how easy things were working today. I kept my kick easy and soft and light, I pulled with my arms, and I could breathe. I didn't jack up my heart rate, I didn't feel like I was sinking. I kept going. 500 yards done, I kept going. 750, 1000, I kept going. The thought that this is farther than I've ever swam without stopping to rest kept running through my mind. I became aware that I was swimming continouously, relatively effortlessly, and I could still breathe. I kept going.

Today, I was that woman in the other lane on my first day of swimming.

7 comments:

Maggs said...

Yay. Swimming really can be totally relaxing. I almost always enjoy it, even though I fight it at first.

KP said...

wow...2000 yards? That's more than 1 mile. I think that's as impressive as the personal marathon.

solarpowered said...

To clarify (I wrote this late last night) I did 250 yds of warm-up and then 250 yds cool down, so the continuous, non-stop swimming laps were 1500 yds...

Anonymous said...

Great swim! I only managed 1,100 total yards in my first swim of the year the other night. Will you be doing the LavaMan Sprint Tri in Lavallette in a few weeks?

Charisa said...

When swimming "works" it is soooo nice :)

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Awesome! Swimming intimidates me and I wouldn't have a clue what to do (and I'd feel self conscious in the suit and cap and googles!) Good for you!

Christie said...

Hey Neighbor,

I'm not running the 8k in Moorestown today. And it's not like I didn't know about it. The Moorestown Running Company is my running store of choice. And I was there recently. BUT, I'm signed up for an all girls 10k in Central Park tomorrow. The next local race I have on tap is the Philadelphia Distance Run. What about you?