Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The end.

Once upon a time, Lora decided she should (finally!) give her body and legs a little break from running. It was decided that to really have an effect, that break should be 10 days. Sounding impossibly long, this break was going to be a challenge...

Through those 10 days, I've strengthened my biking and my swimming. These disciplines are usually afterthoughts for me -- workouts I fit in around my running. Suddenly they became THE workout. So I rode more and swam longer that I ever had before. Now, a 20 mile bike ride is typical. I swim no less than 1500 or 2000 yards each time I'm in the pool.

I also reaffirmed my concerns about stopping training. Over the years, people have suggested I take a break from training. I've told them I can't. I know that when I'm not following a plan, I can get lazy with things. My eating, my workouts, everything. I'm not talking about taking a day off, I'm talking about a break. Day 1 freaked me out, thinking about 9 more days of no running. Day 2 I was still freaked. Then I got enthused about focusing on my biking and swimming. I liked the new challenges I put in front of myself. But I also noticed how easy it was to get lazy with things. Baked tortilla chips and pineapple salsa isn't something I'd snack on after work before running, but there I was enjoying them before heading out on the bike...

That path will only lead to the overweight person I was before I started running. I can't go back there. I haven't gained weight this week+, but I'm already struggling with pounds that I can't explain or get rid of.

So now I'm ready to lace up my shoes and get out on the road. All I know so far is that I am running about 4 easy miles tomorrow. I went to get my plan from D at the store tonight and ended up having to fit someone for shoes and help other customers, so I worked for an hour instead.

I also went to the doc today.
Turns out my crunching noise and aching jaw is simply that -- a grouchy (probably inflamed) jaw. TMJ stuff. No ear infections. My ears are actually clear, and some Motrin should hopefully clear me up.

Good thing, because after 10 days off, I want to start fresh. It's been a long, but in some ways quick, 10 days. I don't know what to expect tomorrow. Will my legs work? Will my breathing be tougher?

Or will I run tomorrow and sense the good that these days off have brought? Will I just know how important these 10 days were? Hopefully, it'll be a good run. Hopefully it will make me happy.

Ever after.

The end.

6 comments:

Maria said...

"See" you out there tomorrow morning... we can virtually run together!

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Hope the 4 miler goes well!

Charisa said...

Enjoy the run!

Maggs said...

Have a great run!

Aimee said...

I didn't get the sense it made you happy.... ?

Dan said...

those 'mystery' pounds? my theory is similar to Newton's Law - he said that matter can neither be created nor destroyed.
i say, lbs can neither be created nor destroyed. if someone's losing it, i'm gaining it.
and, voila, there it is, parked squarely and securely on my handles.
great
i guess i can call it my own version of carbon sequestering (as in helping to control global warming)

i need time off too.
cheers