Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Day 2 of 10...

10 days off from running, that is. I might go crazy long before the 10th day...

I've thought, for a while now, that I needed to give my legs a break. I've been running -- marathon training, really -- since the summer of 2006. No down time, no break to give my legs a chance to recalibrate or reenergize or just s.t.o.p. for a minute. After my marathons (I've done 5 since I started running), I usually only take a couple days off.

This weekend, on my 10 mile run on Sunday, I decided I need to do something. My legs are feeling heavy, I don't feel like I'm improving in my running anymore, and my body is not responding to my current fitness regime.

Yes, I did a couple days of multiple workouts last week that probably taxed my legs. Yes, I haven't been getting enough sleep for my normal daily stuff, let alone all the workouts -- on top of teaching 7th graders each day. Yes, I still have about 8 pounds too many on my body that I can't seem to get rid of and which probaby contribute to my sucky running.

That said, I feel the need to recalibrate. I think back to my first year or so of running and it was easier. It was also the last time I ran on fresh legs.

So I talked to my running store owner friend (D) and he was shocked to hear I haven't taken any time away. "You've never taken two straight weeks off? Even after a marathon?"

Uh, nope. I usually take about 2 or 3 days. Should I take this week off to reset things?

"Take 10 days."

Um, WHAT?! I can't do that. How about a week?

"10 days. No less. Your legs need that time."

Oh, God. I'm going to go crazy. Ok, I'll do it if you help me work a plan to get back into it after the 10 days, and improve.

"You got it -- but only if you follow my plan, and not add other workouts and stuff in."

Ok.

So that's how I've gotten to 10 days of no running. I trust D. He's a 2:30 marathoner and knows his stuff. He's helped me before, and he's helped a couple other people. I trust him.

I keep thinking that when I run again it'll be on fresher legs. That's what I'm hoping for.
In the meantime, I'll be swimming, biking, doing core work, yoga, and strength stuff. I know it'll be good for me, even if it's going to be tough.

4 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Go back and read my blog end of Oct 08 - early Nov 08. I took 2 weeks off (b/c of needing healing time post Twin Cities Marathon). I was crabby. I ate alot. I drank too much beer. But it was necessary for my legs.

It is necessary for your legs too. I'm glad D pointed it out to you. I bet logically, you even knew it was necessary. You read alot about running and post on alot of boards. You know breaks are a necessary evil!

You might even surprise yourself and enjoy it. You can sleep in and not worry about getting up to get a run in. You can skip the evening run and go to happy hour. You can be eat what you want on a weekend and not worry about it affecting your tummy for a long run.

You will be recharged, for sure!

Christie said...

Good luck with the time off. I think you'll do fine with all the cross training you have planned. It's not running, but it will keep you busy while giving your legs a break.

Maria said...

If a day comes along in that period where you're really itching to get outside and go for a run, perhaps spending some time in the grass with some simple yoga poses?

Charisa said...

Your legs will be brand new when you come back! Plus, sounds like you have lots to keep you busy in the meantime :) Enjoy the rest!!