Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Shoreman 70.3 triathlon (part 2)

The first 30 minutes on the bike were uneventful. I had a pretty good idea of the course, because my friend M and I had ridden it (the original one) three weeks ago. Even at the one hour mark, things were still just rolling along, but I noticed the new course wasn't as friendly as the original. 

I loved that it was cloudy and cool for most of the bike, but I just wasn't getting comfortable.  I did know that I was riding slightly faster than I thought I might, but I was SLOW compared to everyone else out there.  While I've improved my swimming this year, I recognize that my biking speed and skills are lacking.  I've avoided getting a coach to help me simply because I feel like doing that means I'm now taking the tri's seriously.  If I do that, I may lose the "It's for fun" mindset, and I don't want to do that. 

Anyway, back out on the course, I was fighting to get comfortable but finally made it to the turnaround for the second loop.  I stopped for about 30 seconds, refilled my perpetuem and water bottles (actually, the cute volunteer did) and off I went.  I felt better for about the first 10 miles of that second loop, but then hit the back stretch of the course where the discomfort and hard work of the legs set in again.  I wasn't hating the bike leg, and I kept my positive attitude about the day, but I was ready to get off the bike.

As I came into transition, I joked with the volunteers -- as I'd been doing, as well as thanking each of them, all day -- and I waved and yelled to my mom. 
I wasn't slow in my transitions, but I did take my time to make sure I had and did what I needed so I was comfortable on the next leg.  When I got off the bike, I realized it was a lot hotter than I'd felt it was on the bike, and the sun was now shining.  Solarpowered though I am, the heat/full sun/humidity KILLS my running.  I scooped a bunch of ice I'd brought into my bra, zipped up my top to keep it in, and headed out on the run. 
Within the first two miles, though I kept my pace slow and easy, I knew the heat was doing me in.  Knowing the forecast for the day, I'd planned on walking through the water stops so that I could finish feeling good, and now, out on the course, I knew that's what I'd have to do.  That was frustrating, because I'm a better runner than that -- but I couldn't lose sight of my two important goals.  Keep smiling and having fun, and finish under 7 hours.  I drank, I walked through the stops, but I kept moving forward.  I took in some fuel, and as I made the turn to head back to the transition area to start the second loop, I passed my friend R (he was on his second loop).  He side-fived me and told me to keep it up, and that gave me a boost.  When I passed my parents at the transition area, I told them this would be my slowest half marathon ever.  They said "SO WHAT?!" and I agreed.  So what!  This race was a new challenge for me.  A new distance.  I wanted to look back on the day and be happy about it.  That's something I don't have with the marathon, and I wanted this race to be different. 

I passed the volunteers at the run out and asked, "Are you having as much fun as I am?" and they all looked at me, smiled, and cheered, "Yep!"  I thanked all the boy scouts at the water stops, the volunteers on the run course, and cheered on most of the other competitors I passed by.  One volunteer said, "You're looking great, Ironwoman!" and I laughed and replied, "Half Ironwoman!  But thanks, this is my first one!"  She smiled and said, "GO Girl!" 

It was hot, I wasn't happy with my run, but as I made my way up the last half mile stretch of road to the finish, I was smiling.  I knew my time overall was better than I thought I'd do, and I was about to finish a 70.3 (ok, yes, more like 72) mile triathlon.  Something I never thought I'd do.  I waved to my parents, made the turn to the finish (it was downhill!  Yeah!) and then I was done. 
I did it!  A 70.3 triathlon!  Me!  Whoa!

I talked with my parents and some friends a bit, got tons of water and some fruit, and then I made my way to transition to gather my stuff.  Before I headed to the finish to wait for M to come in,  I took off my running shoes and threw on my new socks.
Badass. 

In the grand scheme of things, I know my performance at this tri was not Badass.  The official results list me as 112/210ish. My swim was 34:47 (34th fastest swim!), bike was 3:23:29 (ugh!), and the run was a ridiculous 2:16:10 (though I'm not sure how this is; my garmin showed a mid 2:15xx.  Whatev.).  The winners do it in 4+ hours, and I was a half hour slower than the 5th person in my AG.  

But, my 6:21:35 is mine. And on that day, I sort of felt like a Badass for completing it.   Just like I never imagined I'd run a marathon, I really never thought I'd do a tri longer than a sprint.  But I did.  And I was standing, and I can look back on the day and feel good about my race. 

I might even do another one next year. 

8 comments:

Paul said...

Hey, sounds great to me! It's your first HIM...cut yourself some slack!

Especially in the heat...ooowf..

But not too shabby.

Clearly the biking is key...it's the biggest chunk of time. swimming the least important.

Maggs said...

Love those socks! you had a great time for your first 70.3.

Mindi said...

That is a great time and I am so glad you had fun out there! Ha - and I love the socks! Very appropriate. You are definitely a bad ass! Congrats again!

Maria said...

Your attitude is awesome!!! I like how you approached your training and entering this race, you had a plan and you stuck to it. GREAT JOB LORA!!!!

Alison said...

I think you did great, and I hope you do another!

Aimee said...

Love the write up, love the positive attitude. I'm amazed at the swim- very impressive!!!

Jennifer said...

The shoreman was my first HIM too! It was the perfect atmosphere for a first 70.3. I also loved the boy scouts with the hoses, they seemed to be having fun squirting everyone.

Congrats!

Charisa said...

Whooooo hoooooo! And your socks are awesome!!!!