Sunday, June 6, 2010

Non-running randoms

  • not running sucks
  • persistent calf pain sucks
  • going to a chiropractor for almost 2 weeks and not having any progress sucks
  • Finding a holistic therapy/physical therapist whose daughter is a kick-ass runner so she gets it, and having her take me in the day I called her, and having her work me with that ART stuff and whatever other hurty maneuvers stuff she did, including some little activator/mini jackhammer thing, was AWESOME. (Even though it really hurt.)
  • I'm not a good sleeper by nature, and I've been sleeping even less without my running
  • I'm biking and swimming like I'm training for an Ironman. I'm not.
  • I feel like I might be ready to try the clipless pedals and get rid of my cages. Not that I need to, but I feel like I'm ready to try them.
  • I'm also intrigued with the idea of aerobars.
  • My summer plans are all in a sort of holding pattern until I'm running pain-free again. Working on some travel plans, some races, etc., but don't want to commit to anything until I know I can run wherever I'm going.
  • I want to visit some new places I've never been this summer.
  • I want to hopefully visit places where I know someone.
  • I really like working at the running store. I wish I felt more comfortable with some of the stuff there, but working so sporadically doesn't allow for that.
  • I've gained about 4-5 pounds, give or take, since the marathon because of this stupid non-running. I'm ok with it as long as I don't go over 120lbs. I'm in dangerous territory these days.
  • It's fun having a hometown team in the Stanley Cup Finals.
  • My dad's still in that brace (and will be until August) but the spine doc seemed pleased with things when he saw him this past week.
  • My little nephew conquered some pool fears today. And wanted me to help :)
  • I can't seem to want to stay in the lap pool long enough to do more than about 1750-2000 yds in a session. I suppose I don't have a need to do more right now, so it's no big deal.
  • I'm not very fast on the bike. I suppose right now this doesn't matter, either.
  • Not running sucks.
  • But the therapy lady understands this, and is seeing me again Tuesday so I can get back to running sooner. She even suggested I could try a short, super easy run tomorrow. Like, 10 mins, maybe. I'll see if I'm still sore tomorrow, and how my calf feels. But I'm encouraged by what's she's done, and so I can wait until after Tuesday if I need to...

2 comments:

Charisa said...

I hope the therapy works soon! Visit those new places - plan your trips now while you have a little more time from the non-running :) Pick out a fun 10k or something on your trip!

Maria said...

Not sure if you've been to VT or not but I'd highly recommend Burlington! Such a great city and from what people were saying lots of great hiking and biking nearby too. Might be a good trip!