Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Bike shopping

I've wanted a commuter-type bike for a while now. My old kick-around bike is HEAVY and old and the gears slip and the brakes are funky and and and... It's time for a new one. A bike I can ride the mile up the small hill to my sister's. A bike I can ride to work at the running store, or run errands on, or just go for a leisurely ride.

I went to some local shops, but around here the options seem to be "lifestyle" fitness bikes. Lots of gears, which means it's tougher to put a basket on the front or rack on the back, and more parts to care for. I want to be able to get a good ride out of this bike, but I'm not working out on it - it's just for kicking around.

I don't want to go cheap -- I want to get a decent bike that'll last me a while -- and I figured if I spend $600 or under, that's cool.

Both an old friend of mine (who is heavy into cycling these days) and Charisa suggested getting a single-speed bike. None of the shops around here carry them -- it would need to be custom built and that means a lot of $$$. I remembered Charisa talking about and loving her commuter bike, and she directed me to a cool site where you customize your own bike. Although I'm not really sure how I'll do with the single-speed ride, I LOVE the funkiness of these bikes.

This bike is super close to getting ordered. Love the blue handles and chain, the green on the tire rims, the whole look. Fun, funky. I've wavered between a sleek black frame and the stark white one... And I need to decide if a 52cm size is too big for my 5'3" height. The 52 is supposed to be for a 5'5"-5'7" person, although I talked to a girl who is 5'4" and rides the 52 and is fine...

Decisions, decisions. Do I get the funky, original singlespeed bike, or the multi-geared Fuji that the store has? (Give or take, I'd be paying about the same price...) I think I really WANT the fun bike -- and I just hope it fits and it's weight isn't too heavy, since I'll be carrying it up and down the steps to my house...

4 comments:

Maggs said...

Awesome bike. I have been tempted by the single speed for a while. but I have an old bike that works just fine. It depends on if you ever see yourself wanting to group rides etc on it. The fuji could be both.

Christina said...

That is a really cool bike. But honestly I think the 52 is likely to be too big. Can you ask the company what the standover height is? And how much it weighs? That might help you decide.

Christina said...

By the way I'm 5'8" and ride a 52 Fuji- but every 52 is different...

Charisa said...

I love the colors you picked out :)