Thursday, July 8, 2010

Unstructured Summer Days

I like my down time. I like having nothing I *have* to get out of bed for, or nowhere I *have* to be in the day. I like unstructured days. I don't often get them, and truthfully, I'm not good when I have too many in a row, but I had several this first week of July.

After working all weekend at the running store, I dug a super-old running store tank top out of my drawer, grabbed my camera and a six-pack of beer, and headed to meet my friends for the
Summer Beer Mile
It was fun, but it was a much different experience than the Winter Beer Mile. It was a different crew, with some people I was just meeting for the first time. I missed having some of the guys I'm better friends with there, but, alas, lots has changed since then...

My calf felt cranky and tweaked after the first lap, so I decided to just chill out and have fun, rather than run for time. I think I ended my 4 beers and 4 laps (without puking! but admittedly, I'm pretty sure I didn't finish one of the beers) in somewhere between 13 and 14 minutes, and I wasn't last!
The next morning, I got a long run done and headed to the shore. The 4th of July is my oldest nephew's birthday, and so by default we always have a party to attend!
After what felt like a long stretch of busy weeks, I was looking forward to a couple days on the beach. I got a couple runs done, I rode a long (30 mi) bike ride, and I played with my nephews in the ocean for hours. The weather was super hot, but we got a touch of relief right down at the water's edge. It was nice to spend time away from home, in a place that is my home.

I like my unstructured days. I don't want them every day, but I like them when I get them.

2 comments:

Aimee said...

Yay for great ocean time w the boys!!!!

Charisa said...

Ohhhh summer is just the best isn't it?! Glad you got some beach time and can get that unstructured time.