Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I had no business doing it

I swam at the pool this morning after an easy 5 mile run. I decided it would be a short swim, probably 1500 yds or so, mainly because I didn't really feel like swimming today.

When I got there another guy was sort of getting started, too. While I adjusted my goggles and got started, he pulled on his swim gloves, adjusted his goggles, sat on the walk-out steps of the pool, and, well, stayed there.

As I swam 10 laps, I noticed him finally do a lap. Not even a whole lap -- one length of the pool. He stood up at the far end and hung out there for a bit. I finished my 10 and noticed he finally made it to the starting end again. And proceeded to sit on the steps a bit more.

I went on and did another 10 laps after just about a 30 second rest, and could see as I went up and back that this guy did the same thing a few more times: struggle to finish a lap, hang out, repeat.

When I finished the second 10 laps, I had to stop and adjust my goggles. That's when I heard, "You make it look so easy."

Um, what? Ha! Me? NO WAY!

It's not that easy for me, I replied. He went on to tell me he was training for his first triathlon. Next month. His daughter bet him he wouldn't do it. He was determined to do it. He asked me how I swim so easily.

I told him it's not that easy for me. I told him I've been practicing for a few years. I told him a few pointers that my old swim coach taught me -- things I think about every time I'm in the pool. I told him about swimming in a tri, and I told him he just needs to practice and he'll get it.

I had no business talking like I knew anything about swimming. I still consider myself someone who fakes the tri stuff. Yes, I've been doing it for a few years, and yes, I've been swimming enough to feel like I'm better at it than when I started, but I am in no way qualified or knowledgeable enough to impart wisdom or advice on someone else. Not in swimming.

But I did anyway, and the guy listened intently and then watched me swim my last 10 laps. While he did 2.

I wished him luck as I got out of the pool, and told him he can do this.

"I know I can," he said. And smiled.

4 comments:

Maggs said...

You gave him great advice. I always laugh when people ask me for tips, but since I've had everything under the sun wrong with my swimstroke, I know a few things about fixing them.

Joe said...

I know how you feel, but at that stage, encouragement (and that emphasis on practice) is almost as welcome as advice (heaven knows I got a ton of that and I'm still a mediocre swimmer at best)

Christina said...

I think some of the best tri advice I get is from people who are slightly better than me. That guy didn't need to learn to be a great swimmer- he needed to learn how to be less bad. Way to help him out!

Mindi said...

That is really cool. I agree that it was great of you to help him out. If I tried swimming, I would no doubt be in his same position.