Tuesday, November 18, 2008

New stuff and running in the dark

I stopped and picked up a new pair of Nike capri running tights today at REI. They aren't exactly what I wanted, but they were on sale, and I needed a new pair. I'm still searching for the perfect ones, though. I'm short, so the length is sometimes funny, especially since I always buy a size or so up with tight shorts or capris because I don't like all my rear-end jiggly stuff to be so pronounced. I also like the capris to have a bit of form or structure to them to make me feel like they are holding me together. It's helpful if they have a zipper pocket or at least a foldover pocket to hold a gel or lifesavers or a car key. Capris have become my favorite cold-weather go-to instead of pants. I think I only wore long pants a handful of times last winter. Hence, my search for the perfect pair continues...

I also picked up some blinky lights and a headlamp at the running store the other day. I'm not sure I'm comfortable running in the nighttime yet, but on days like today, when I get home too late to get the full run in in the daylight, these things will come in handy.

I set out for about 5 miles, all geared up with my reflector thingy that looks like the thing I wore for safety patrol in grade school and my blinky lights. I decided it wouldn't be dark enough for very long in my run to break out the headlamp. Um, I was wrong.

About 2 miles into my run, it was pretty dark. By the middle of mile 3, it was pitch black -- and there weren't any streetlights where I was running. Rats. This wasn't in the plan. There were enough cars driving by on the road that I didn't feel nervous or anything, but I could have been running with my eyes closed. Couldn't see where I was running at all. Great.

As I made my way back to my house, I was tentative with each step. I did not want to roll another ankle or trip on a curb. But I was also thinking how cool it was to start another run in the daylight that finishes in the complete darkness. It's neat to be out there while the sun is setting -- and to run through the end of the day.

3 comments:

sage said...

I've had my headlamp out since before the marathon in October. But then, I run at 5:30 (or earlier!) in the morning.

It not only lets you see the ground, but drivers have yet another opportunity to see you and not hit you!

Aimee said...

Rear-end jiggly stuff? Really???? :) /Don't run in the dark! Not safe! /end sister rant. :)

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

I got some new Nike capri things that I really like - they have a back zippy pocket thing too. Problem is I was on the bench during the 2 week period where I would have needed them here - now we're in to pants and tights weather!

Good luck on Sunday! I really wish I could have made it to Philly. You guys will have a blast.