Sunday, May 8, 2011

Swimming in a wetsuit is pretty cool.

Thursday evening I drove to a nearby cedar water lake with a friend from the running store to participate in the first open water swim clinic of the season.  It's hosted by a part-time store employee whose real job is to coach runners and triathletes through his ETA Coach company. 

I have anxieties about swimming in open water. I don't like to know what I'm swimming with.  I don't like when I can't see through the water.  A contradiction, I know, but it all contributes to my anxieties.  I swim comfortably in the pool.  Not so in the open water.  So I'm forcing myself to fight those anxieties by swimming at the OWS clinics on Thursday nights.

Even when it's cloudy and cool outside and the water temp is 60* like it was this week.  That's what my new wetsuit is for!  I've never swam in one, and that was nerve-racking, too, but let's just deal with all of it head on in these clinics! 
I got in the water, heart thumping a bit, but then figured, ok, let's do this.  Each person let a minute or so pass before starting their loop, and soon it was my turn.  And it only took the first loop for me to realize it wasn't that bad!  First time swimming in a wetsuit!  Turns out those things make your swim smooth and a little bit faster.  At least that's what it felt like.  Woot!

And the open water part wasn't too terrible, either.  There was a lot of muck in the lake, and a couple times I got a little freaked about something I hit, but the temperature didn't bother me -- and although I passed a couple people and a few passed me, I didn't have to tackle the hitting and fighting for position in the swim like you do in tri's -- yet.  That'll come in later clinics.   

Each loop was .2 of a mile (short!).  I did one, pulled to the side like everyone was doing to wait your turn to start your second loop, then did a second.  That one was easier.  New problem, though -- my goggles kept fogging up.  This has been happening in my pool swims, too, and I've tried several different goggles lately.  I got out of the lake, went over to the table where we had tri stuff to sell from the store, picked out a pair of kids goggles (see the cool green ones in the pic?), and got back in the water.  Did the last 3 loops without any fogging!  Yay!  My eyes are small and set close together, so the smaller goggles seemed to fit better. 

As I got out of the water after completing a mile, I was silently proud of myself.  I didn't freak out, and I swam well.  I might even be looking forward to getting back there this week and seeing if I can do better!

*******************************************************************************************************************
Also, today is Mother's Day.  I spent some nice time with my mom at my friend's play Friday night and then we had lunch together yesterday.  And over the weekend, I got these fun cards for being a "mom" and an aunt to Roxie and my sister's boys.  :)

Happy Mother's Day to all the mommies out there!  And to all those who act as mommies or substitute mommies for special people in their world.  Hope your day was fantastic! 

2 comments:

Paul said...

I thought the idea was swimming in a wetsuit was pretty warm < snark snark> ;)

I know how to swim but have never tried making it an aerobic thing...someday...

Joe said...

Sounds like you're doing just fine - wetsuit is definitely a different experience than non-suited, and being not that strong a swimmer, it's definitely like a security blanket in open-water.

BTW, I think I have similarly set eyes to you - I've found that the Kaiman swim goggles from Aquasphere work quite well