Thursday, May 19, 2011

I am an addict.

I had a really busy day at work today.  I was beat by the time I got home.  It was pouring rain, then just misty, then thundering, then misty, then raining, repeat, repeat, repeat.  By 3pm I knew the open water swim was cancelled, so I had to figure out what to do for my workout. 

No run -- scheduled day off (been running 5 days a week)
No OWS, so head to the pool?  No -- by the time I'd get there, I'd have to wait for lane space.  I'll do the OWS make up session on Sunday.
No outside bike -- rain is ok, thunder is not. 
No inside bike -- I just got a new tire on my bike and spent a lot of money for it.  I forgot to ask for the old tire for when I put the bike on the trainer, and I don't want to mess up the new tire. 
No yoga -- my knee is jacked up.  That's for another post.

I sat on my chunky chair and did email.  I watched Oprah.  And I got antsy. 
I felt like a slacker. 
I checked my runningahead log -- I haven't taken a complete rest day in more than two weeks, so I could take today off and it wouldn't hurt.  But I don't feel like I need a day off.  I don't want a day off.

I ran though my list of options/non-options again. They just sounded like excuses.
I fidgeted.
I thought, I have to do something

At 5:15 it stopped raining.  At 5:30 I took my bike outside.  The skies were clearing, and I hit the road.  Only got about 30 minutes in, and then ran into my house, stripped myself of the bike gear, changed into yoga stuff, and headed to 90 minutes of HOTHOTHOTHOT power yoga. 

I sent my sister, who had earlier given me "permission" to take the day off,  a text that let her know I was back from my bike and headed to yoga. 

I'm an addict  it said. 

Not a bad thing was her response. 

I get antsy, I get impatient.  I feel off when I don't do it. I don't spend my every waking moment running/biking/swimming/doing yoga/or any other sports, but I don't feel right when I don't do something to get my heart pumping or my breathing working in a given day.

But I suppose I could be addicted to worse things than exercise.

1 comment:

Charisa said...

There are much worse things to be addicted to for sure! :) Glad you got to bike outside!