Tuesday, May 17, 2011

It Must Be My Butt.

I've had the same Bontrager saddle on my bike since I purchased it a few years ago.  It was ok, but I felt like there just had to be a more comfortable bike saddle.  I'd been fitted by a good bike store, so I figured that wasn't the problem.  I just thought maybe this was a low-end saddle that came with the bike and there had to be others that wouldn't seem to put pressure where no one wants it. 

Ok, let's get slightly specific for a minute.  Feel free to skip the post if you aren't interested in hearing about lady parts.

Huh.  Still here?  Ok. 

Here's the situation.  I don't ride in the aero position, but I don't sit entirely upright, either.  When on my bike, on the old saddle, there was uncomfortable pressure in the lady parts area.  I was constantly shifting my weight around to relieve that pressure.  Then, in my butt area, I'd often feel like my sit bones were bruised at the end of the ride.  Either I suck at biking, or my saddle sucked, or my butt isn't built for this stuff. 

So I finally did something about it.  Our newest sister store to the running store where I work is carrying a full line of bikes and bike gear.  It happens to be located on the mainland of the island where I grew up and my parents still live.  Sweet.  I took a drive down there last weekend, tried a couple different saddles, and decided on the Adamo Podium. 
Several people recommended it (thanks Maggs!), and they were right:  it's a great saddle.  The lady parts pressure does seem to be relieved.  That's a welcome improvement. 

However, my butt (the sit bones, in particular) was sore after a 16 mile ride.  So, of course, I wondered if I made the right choice with the new saddle. 

What I'm realizing it all comes down to is this:  I'm an idiot.  My butt's probably fine. 

My new saddle is a better one than my old one, and my butt just needs to get conditioned to more riding.  I didn't do much riding over the winter, and it's idiotic to think I'll be comfortable at all until I get more time in the saddle.   

So that's what I'll do.  And I'll re-evaluate my butt situation in another month or so. 

Exciting, right? 

5 comments:

Maggs said...

My sitbones still get sore from time to time. But it's becoming less and less. I think it's because there's more weight on them now it will just take some time to get used to.

Paul said...

Hmm. I'm an engineer and bike gear people and bike "rubric" just pisses me off no end.

Telling your customer, when in pain "Oh you just have to get more used to it".

FAIL.

You should be able to sit on something with a seat and not hurt.

I need to get a new saddle for my own naughty-bit problems...bargle..more money demanded.

I guess you can tell I don't use my bike much 8/

phdatc said...

I too have some lady bits trouble. I know the seat is the problem, but don't have the dough to put toward a solution. Thanks for the review, I'll look at that seat!

Alison said...

I have the Adamo Race - and to be honest I've never looked back. I love that saddle. Hate the goofy look of it, but overall if my lady bits are happy, then I can deal with how it looks. I am so much more unbelievably comfortable in the aero position on the Adamo.

I did find it took a few rides to get my sit bones used to it, because it is a pretty different set-up than a traditional saddle.

Charisa said...

I like my adamo too :) I think the sit bones get used to it over time.