Saturday, September 5, 2009

improvement

So yesterday's run was a interval workout. Plan was for about 10 miles total, with 3x2mi @ 8:20 pace with 5 mins easy between. On paper, that sounded like it wouldn't be all that challenging. It's a cool feeling to look at a workout and think that.

Turns out, I was right. I ran an easy 2.2 to a park loop that runs around a lake -- I'm noticing I can run a little faster for my easy pace while still keeping my HR low. Cool. Just before I got to the lake, I started the first 2mi repeat. My goal was to never go slower than the 8:20pace. I didn't.

First mile was 8:08, finished the repeat in 16:13. Felt fine. Felt like I had to hold myself back a little since I was faster than I was supposed to be. Jogged through the 5 mins rest, and got ready for the second repeat.

First mile here was about a 8:09, finishing in 16:17. I was, again, feeling fine, but I was thinking I should be slowing it down a bit, so you can see I did -- slightly. Again, jogged through the rest time and noticed just how many older men were walking around this lake this morning. Huh. One guy yelled, as I passed him again, "Are you a twin or just running fast?!" That made me smile and do a double-take. Yes, and I'm trying were the thoughts in my head, but I yelled, "Ha! I'm trying to run fast!" And he cheered, "You're doing a great job!" That was a fun little boost.

As I began repeat #3, my legs were still feeling ok. First mile was 8:06, finishing (up a hill heading for home) a little slower with a 16:25. Done. Did all the repeats faster than prescribed, but I felt D would be ok with it. I think the workout could've probably been more like 3x2mi @8:10 with 5 mins OR 3x2mi @8:15 with 3 mins btwn. Either way, I felt good about how comfortable I was with this as I made my way back home.

I ended up with 11.25 miles altogether, and could've kept going. It was a cooler (low humidity) morning, sunny and clear.

Great way to start the day.
Great way to keep me focused on my goal.

4 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Excellent work lora!! Your hard work is paying off in improved paces and improved confidence!

sneakersister said...

Lora, that is awesome!! You did a great job on that workout.

Maria said...

Fantastico!!!

Charisa said...

Sounds like a great workout!