Thursday, September 17, 2009

Running form

Over the past couple weeks I've been trying to pay attention to my form while running. Several people have commented on my form -- whether it's my shoulders looking like they're tense (they usually aren't), or I should be picking my knees up more, or general comments about my gait -- and so, of course, I now think about it a lot.

I try to keep my arms relaxed -- not up in front of my chest, but loose and keeping my chest area open. I shake out my arms often -- I always have, really, and it's something that reminds me of my friend Joe (Voodoo) every time I do it because we've talked about punching the air in front of us at times.

I think about my legs and their strength as I run, and I lift my knees when I feel myself slowing. As I run up a hill, I engage my hamstrings and power up. When I'm running easy, I don't let myself shuffle -- I keep a solid form and just slow the pace.

As I run, I keep myself in check -- core strong, hands and arms relaxed, sometimes leaning slightly forward, just to allow the natural pull do it's job.

I'm aware that I'm a better runner now -- my heart rate is lower while running than it ever was, I'm lighter, which makes the running easier, and I'm better (really good, even!) with keeping the workout what it's supposed to be.

This weekend it's time to see just how well this can all come together.

1 comment:

Charisa said...

I try to think about form when I get tired especially - I think it really helps.