Saturday, July 9, 2011

And on the 66th day, she rested.

I haven't taken a full rest day since the week after the Broad Street Run.  May 4th was the last day I didn't swim, bike, run, do yoga, or anything else exercise-oriented. Since then, not a day has passed without some sort of workout.  Many days have been doubles.  I've been good about taking legs-rest days (when I'll just swim and/or take a yoga class), and I've been good about paying attention to when my legs need a running-free day (when I'll just bike and/or swim, etc.). 

But today, for the first time since May 4th, I did no exercise.  I didn't choose this, and it really frustrated me, but I couldn't help it.  I went to bed Thursday night with my stomach not feeling right and awoke Friday with the start of a two day bout with some sort of bug.  Ugh.

I made it through a 5 mile run with my sister and then a 1 mile run with my nephew, but the whole way I just kept hoping I wouldn't need the bathroom.  I didn't, but when we were done, I felt done.  I somehow got a bowl of cereal in me, but by mid-day, I was down for the count.  Couldn't eat anything.  I forced some watered-down Gatorade and a couple pieces of toast in me, and even some chicken soup broth throughout the day/night.  But that was it.  I went to bed at 8pm.  I was worn out from so many trips to the bathroom and my body having no fuel in it.  Eww, I know.  Sorry. 

I woke up this morning (after a fitful night) and was hoping I was better.  I wasn't.  The sun was shining, the temps were cool, and I couldn't enjoy it.  There was no way I'd be able to run, and even biking would require more energy than my depleted body would handle.  Again I kept trying to get something in me -- chicken broth, Gatorade, dry toast -- but I didn't feel any better.  I thought, maybe I'll feel better by the evening and I'll be able to get a short ride in then. 

By 2pm, I was out of my mind.  I was wasting an entire day curled up on the sofa.  I was antsy, but I couldn't do anything.  That's when I looked at my workout calendar. 

May 4th. Wednesday.  It was a rainy, raw day, and my knee was bothering me.  I was heading to the Phillies game after work, and I had just raced on Sunday and only taken Monday off.  I decided to take the day off.  Knew it was probably smart after the race, anyway.  So that was a rest day.  The last one until today. 

I was finally able to get a small amount of bland gnocchi into my system tonight, but a run or ride was not going to happen.  I will do something easy in the morning.  I know I can -- in my first year of real running, I had been violently ill for a 24 hour period between Friday and Saturday and somehow made it through a 17 mile run that Sunday.  I'm just more in-tune to my body now, and I realize how weak I am tonight.  But I can't take another full day off. 

Rest is good -- I know that.   But another full day off is something I don't want right now.  :)  I want to get out there and enjoy the beautiful weather. 

1 comment:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

Rest IS good, but very hard to do! Hope you are feeling better by now.