Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Partially Tri-ing

Last Wednesday evening, as I was slowly warming up for a local 5k race, my left achilles seized up BAD and I had to stop. Could barely limp my way .7mi back to the start, and as I did, I felt a pop -- not a rupture pop, but a flick of a guitar string pop, like a ligament shifted across something.

Whatever it was, whatever the (still unknown) cause, I was beside myself. I had just gotten to a point where I thought I was on the almost-healed route. I drowned my frustrated, sorry ass in some beers with friends that night, and then saw the ART guy the next day. I was in pain, and I told him to take it easy on me. I really needed him to confirm what I thought -- that it wasn't a rupture, that it was something he could help me with. He did, and he did.

But I still couldn't run. I saw him again before the weekend, and he told me not to run until Monday. Since I could barely walk without a limp even 3 days after it seized up, I was resigned to this being what I had to do. However, I was supposed to do the only sprint triathlon I was registered for this summer on Saturday, and I was disappointed I wouldn't be able to run. I contemplated not doing it at all.

And then I realized that for me, the run is the easy part. It's always the swim and the bike that present the challenge for me in a tri. So I'll do those. I would start the race, and walk off the course after the bike.

I arrived at the Medford Lakes Triathlon relaxed and ready to go. It really stunk to set up my transition 1 stuff, and know that I wouldn't need anything for a T2, but I knew I was making the right decision. It is more important for me to baby my achilles now so that I can run for the rest of my life. I can sacrifice this race for that.

I ran into a teaching coworker who was doing her first tri, and helped her get situated. She was REALLY new at this -- and didn't know what to take to the swim start, how to set up her transition area, or even that she had to wear the swim cap she was given. I got her ready, wished her luck, and stepped into the water to await my wave start.

The water was warm, the lake looked calm, and I knew this would be a piece of cake. A 400 meter swim was nothing. I'm still a pretty weak swimmer in my own mind, so I positioned myself off the back and to the left, where I thought I'd get some clean water.

And then we started, and within the first two minutes, I was already frustrated. All the 39 and younger women, of all different levels and abilities. Grr. Man, I suck at this swimming-in-races thing. I had a million things racing in my head the whole time: move left, there's clean water! Breathe, dammit! This isn't that hard! Ack! move right now, this isn't clean anymore! Eww, shave your legs, lady! That stubble is scratching me up! Whoa! If you're gonna do backstroke, at least try to look where you're going! Breathe, Lora, you've done this before! Stop acting like you haven't! Wait! That guy's cute, but why is he treading water without his goggles on? Ok, almost done, swim it in and finish this thing! Remember to suck in your tummy as you get out -- you chose to swim with just your shorts and bra top today! Ok, there's the beach. Get to your bike, but remember, no running!

After a ridiculous effort, I finished the swim and had a long walk to my bike. This was a great course, but the transition was a really long, thin, area. I walked the whole thing, because I'm not running right now (double GRR!) and so I finally got to my bike and headed out.

The bike course (13ish miles) was a good one. Some good rolling hills, a nice area, and I got in a good groove. I was feeling VERY good about my bike (usually a weakness for me) and ended up with a great-for-me bike leg, averaging 18mph. As I got to the dismount area, I was disappointed that I would not be doing the run, but I held fast to my plan. I walked my bike to my rack, packed up my gear, and walked my bike out of transition and over to the finish line. A couple people commented, she's done already? and I had to tell them, no, I wasn't doing the run leg. :( I handed my chip in, watch the finish for a little bit, and headed home.

I'm glad I had the ability to do what was best for me, but man it stunk to not finish that race. It was a great course, and it seems they had a very successful first triathlon there. I'd go back next year, for sure.

And now, after more serious, sweating-inducing ART work the past few days, the achilles is slowly loosening up and I'm starting to run again. Partial running, that is -- walk some, run some, repeat.

2 comments:

Maria said...

You did the right thing and I'm glad to hear you did those two legs - if nothing it's more experience and confidence under your belt for future TRIs!

Maria said...

You did the right thing and I'm glad to hear you did those two legs - if nothing it's more experience and confidence under your belt for future TRIs!