Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Last workout

Today was the last workout before my fall goal race. I'm doing the LBI 18 Mile Run on Sunday, and it's the culmination of my stepping-back and reworking my running/racing/training. Of course, since I've been feeling so good about my running and my weight and my HM race, I wish I had a marathon on the horizon... but I don't yet, and I'm not sure which one I could make happen. I have to work on that.

For now, though, the focus is Sunday. 3 years ago, I ran this race for the first time and loved it. I ran it in 2:44:xx and loved it. I loved that day.

Then I ran it the next two years and it sucked. The weather was hot, hot, hot and the race doesn't start until 10:30am, and it sucked. My times were terrible, and I hated that that's what my experiences were these past two years.

Last spring, I blogged to myself about remembering that first 18 miler and channeling the positive experience it was. To Me is something I printed out and look at from time to time. It was such a good day, and I needed to get back to that positive race experience.

So I've worked hard, and I've lost some weight (really, without trying -- it just happened through this stressful summer) and I'm running better. Today's last workout wasn't tough -- it was 2 warm-up miles + 3 miles at race pace (between 8:30-8:40) + 1 mile cool-down. It wasn't going to be tough, and I looked forward to it all day. But then I got out there and it wasn't a comfortable run. Between my shoes not feeling right, my HR all over the place, the millions of gnats sticking to my sweaty face, shirt, neck, arms, and feeling like I was working too hard to stay at the right paces, it wasn't a great run.

I hit the 3 race pace paces, though. 8:35, 8:30, 8:25. I just wish the run had been more comfortable, less annoying. That's how it felt -- annoying. Annoying that I was faster than I was supposed to be, annoying that the bugs were thick, annoying that my shoes didn't feel right. But you know what? It didn't make me question that I could hold the race pace. I'm trained to run that, and I know I can. This last workout wasn't great, but it didn't break me.

A few easy runs and then race day. I'm ready.

5 comments:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

You ARE ready! I am so excited for you to have another great race and get back that great feeling you had 3 years ago. You can do it!

Michael said...

Go Lora Go!!!!!!

phdatc said...

Uncomfortable runs in the week before = GREAT race! I believe you will be happy on race day!

Maria said...

You are ready, you are going to tackle this monster and come out on top! I'll be thinking of you Sunday morning and sending all my positive energy your way.

ShoreTurtle said...

Good luck on Sunday. The weather forecast looks good. I ran the race in 2006 while training for Philadelphia and it was a big confidence boost. I'm hoping for the same thing this year.