Monday, August 17, 2009

Slacker

That's me. I've been slacking here.

I told my sister I haven't been writing much this summer -- not on the running forum where I post, not here in my blog, nowhere. And she asked why. I couldn't really answer her, other than to say my head's been so jumbled this summer that I haven't felt like I could concentrate enough to write stuff on one topic. Or to write stuff that seems meaningful.

But I guess I need to just get back into it. There's a lot to catch up on...

*Training's going well. I've been hitting my paces and running some solid workouts. I feel good about that.

*The new stability shoes/no orthotics deal is working well, too, I think. I ran a 12 miler today and my knees have just a hint of crankiness, but that could very well be because I haven't been as diligent with my glucosamine supplements. Need.to.be.better.about.those.

*The scale has been very friendly these days. I struggled with mystery pounds through pretty much the first 6 months of this year. This summer, I've dropped the mystery pounds, plus a few. I'm consistently weighing right around 120lbs, and hanging around 118/119 right now. Hell, I weighed 116 the other morning. I can't remember the last time I saw that number on the scale. I like this -- I feel better -- and I know it is completely due to fewer calories going in. I just hope I can hold onto this once the summer ends and I'm back at work full time...

*My grandmother is dying. It is sad to watch, but I'm fairly certain she's not in any pain. She's lived a long life, and I just want her to be comfortable in these last days. Whenever I can, I'm at her bedside, talking with her, holding her hand, and even feeding her ice chips. She isn't speaking much, but she managed to tell me I looked pretty the other day. That made my day.

*I had a GREAT experience this weekend doing The Great Urban Race in NYC with Maria. There's a lot to say about this super fun day, so I'll write a full post about that tomorrow.

This has been a really emotionally charged, turbulent summer. I know that's part of life, and since that's what this blog is about, I'll strive to get more written about my days...

8 comments:

sneakersister said...

I know we don't talk very often but it sounds like we are dealing with some similar things all the way around. Sometimes writing helps, even if you don't feel like it.

I'm glad to hear that your training is continuing to feel good. I forget to take my glucosamine, too. (Need to remember that.)

Keep up the great work, I'm cheering you on.

Jen Jones said...

I'm glad your training is going well! I'm very sorry about your grandma :(.

You looked like you had SO MUCH FUN with Maria! Those pictures were awesome!!!

phdatc said...

I hear you on a turbulent summer, and I am truely sorry you are losing your grand mother. But as a good friend and a wise women told me... you are stronger than you think.

Christie said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmom. It's good to hear that your training is going well though. I'm sure it helps deal with all that's going on. I'm totally jealous that I have to lose a limb or two to get down to 120 :)

Oh, did you mention that store runs are on Wednesdays? Summer session of yoga is done, so I may be able to join in.

Maggs said...

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. Hopefully the training will get you through the rough times. it's okay to take break from things for a while, even if it's something you like to do. Really makes you remember why you enjoy it.

Aimee said...

You ARE lookin' good these days!

Charisa said...

Sorry about your grandmother, that is hard. Glad the running is going well!

Dan said...

really glad we had the chance to catch up last week. keep your head up.
and yeah, i agree w/aimee.