Friday, April 29, 2011

A Wedding and a Fall

I'll admit it.  I was up early (as I always am for work) but I was glued to the tv.  30 years ago, my mother woke my sister and I up to watch Lady Diana marry Prince Charles.  At 9 years old, that felt like the middle of the night.  Sadly, years later, the 3 of us did the same to watch Diana's funeral.  And this morning, though we were each in our own homes, we watched it together and texted all the "pretty" and "omg, tears!" comments we would have said out loud.  It was beautiful, it was a fairy-tale, there was pomp and circumstance, and it was regal.  Royal.  Historical.  I loved it. 
(a cool side note -- the aston martin that Will and Kate drove in later in the day, his father's car, is run entirely on wine!  My kind of car!)

So maybe because I was up extra early, or maybe because I'm just way overdue for one, I tripped and fell while on my run later in the day.  For people who know me, this is not shocking.  What's surprising is that I've had such a long run without a good spill.  That ended today.  My town is filled will cobblestone and uneven sidewalks.  I often roll an ankle while running, and so a true fall was bound to happen.  As I felt my right foot catch, I began to stumble forward.  I probably looked like a cartoon character at that point -- arms flailing.  I had enough time to think the fall through, and so it ended up much less hurtful than it could have been.  I landed hard on my right hand and hip and right knee, and then nicked my left wrist -- my Garmin, to be precise.  Once the stumbling fall was done, I rolled onto my butt on the strip of grass bordering the street and sat there.  I was really worried I'd damaged my Garmin, and I also realized there were definitely people who just saw me take this header.  It was then I decided that if I sat there, staring at my watch and seeming to be fiddling with the buttons, perhaps the 6 cars passing by or all the people in the surrounding houses might think I actually intended to be sitting on the side of the road like this.

"Do you think they really thought that?" my awesome 7 year old nephew asked after I recounted my fall and showed him my scrapes and bruise.

Not a chance.

That's ok.  It's not like I've never fallen in front of lots of onlookers before...    I'm just hoping this one doesn't hurt my race effort on Sunday! 

2 comments:

Maggs said...

that seems like a waste of wine to me.

solarpowered said...

Well, sh*t. I wasn't thinking it was drinkable wine -- I was just liking the concept of the car drinking wine instead of gas. But now I'm agreeing with you!