Friday, August 12, 2011

It's supposed to be FUN!

I've gotten more serious -- sort of -- with my triathlon training this summer.  Gotten better with my swimming, grown up on my biking a bit, and done more of the tri training this summer than ever before.  Today, I set out for a long workout.  Long.  And while I hoped I'd have company with my friend DS who's here on vacation, the timing wasn't going to work for him.  Instead, he left me motivational messages on the road by the street where he's staying. 
I loved it. 

Yesterday, while getting my workout planned and set, I had a sort of flash of a thought go through my mind.  This is supposed to be fun.  I do tri's for fun.  I should get that mindset back for running races, too -- but that's for another post.  With all the greater focus on improving my triathlon work, I realized I started taking it a little too seriously.  I don't want to do that.  I want to enjoy these races, and when I take them too seriously I end up getting too stressed and full of anxiety.  This is supposed to be fun! 

So when I set out early this morning, that's the thought I kept in my mind.  Have fun.  And I did.  Yes, at a certain point, the hard work sets in, but I reminded myself through the whole workout to have fun.  And DS's messages helped me do that.  Thanks, D! 

1 comment:

Runnin-From-The-Law said...

How fun to get a message from 2oh on your run!

Yes, you better be having fun! Otherwise why bother??